Privacy & Terms
Last updated: April 2018
The 23rd World Petroleum Congress is an event that will take place in Houston, Texas, USA December 6-9, 2020. The 23rd World Petroleum Congress Organizing Committee (“23rd WPC”) is tasked with planning, organizing and running the event. It is the goal of the 23rd World Petroleum Congress to execute a successful, well attended and smoothly run event. To this end, the 23rd WPC may collect and store certain information, including personal data of people like you, including World Petroleum Congress:
- Potential Attendees, Exhibitors & Sponsors
- Vendors, Contractors & Employees
The 23rd WPC takes the protection of your personal data seriously. This Data Protection Statement is meant to help you understand how data are collected, processed and stored to meet legal requirements and 23rd WPC data protection standards.
Why We Collect Data
It will be very difficult and in most cases even impossible for the 23rd World Petroleum Congress to provide you services if you refuse to allow the 23rd WPC to process your data.
For this reason, by providing personal data to the 23rd WPC, you agree to be legally bound by and explicitly consent to this Data Protection Statement, as it may be amended from time to time.
If you do not agree to this Data Protection Statement or cannot form a legally binding contract, the 23rd WPC would not be able to process your personal data.
Scope of this Data Protection Statement
This Data Protection Statement applies to all services offered by the 23rd WPC. This Data Protection Statement does not apply to services offered by other companies or individuals. This Data Protection Statement does not cover the information practices of other companies and organizations who advertise 23rd WPC services or any third party operating any website to which the 23rd WPC website or other digital asset may contain a link.
Data We Collect & How
The 23rd WPC collects general and personal data concerning you from:
- You when you provide your details to the 23rd WPC;
- Our Clients (in such cases, Client must ensure that it is entitled to disclose such data and that you are aware of the various matters detailed in this Data Protection Statement);
- Users of 23rd WPC websites
Following the reception of the data, an electronic profile (the “Contact Profile”) is created in the 23rd WPCs records for each individual or entity. The Contact Profile may contain but is not limited to:
- name; gender; date of birth; address; phone numbers; email addresses; organization or company of employment and/or job title; exhibit and sponsorship related information; field of activity and/or interest; credit card references/numbers; travel destinations; travel schedules; travel preferences; accommodation preferences; other communicated preferences; passport; and visa details.
What are cookies
Cookies are small pieces of text sent by your web browser by a website you visit. A cookie file is stored in your web browser and allows the Service or a third-party to recognise you and make your next visit easier and the service more useful to you. Cookies can be “persistent” or “session” cookies.
- to enable certain functions of the website,
- to provide analytics,
- to store your preferences ad personalize the content,
- to improve the user experience
- to enable advertisements delivery, including behavioural advertising
- to share on social networks
We use both session and persistent cookies on the Service and we use different types of cookies to run the Service:
- Essential cookies | We may use essential cookies to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use of user accounts.
- Third-party cookies | In addition to our own cookies, we may also use various third-parties cookies to report usage statistics of the Service, deliver advertisements on and through the Service, and so on.
What are your choices regarding cookies
- For Internet Explorer™ : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies
- For Safari™ : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201265
- For Chrome™ : https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
- For Firefox™ : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/delete-cookies-remove-info-websites-stored
- For Opera™ : http://help.opera.com/Windows/10.20/en/cookies.html
Please note, however, that if you delete cookies or refuse to accept them, some features of the 23rd WPC website may not work properly, you may not be able to store your preferences, and some of our pages might not display properly.
Where can you find more information about cookies
- All About Cookies: http://www.allaboutcookies.org/
- Network Advertising Initiative: http://www.networkadvertising.org/
Purpose of data collection
The 23rd WPC uses the data collected to provide, maintain, protect and improve the overall quality of its services. Data collection is also meant to protect the 23rd WPC and its users. The 23rd WPC does not collect more data than is necessary to fulfil such purposes. In addition to creating Contact Profiles, MCI uses your data for the following purposes and for which you give your consent:
- Products and Service Updates: With the goal of improving services and based on the data given to the 23rd WPC, the 23rd WPC may send you additional information related to your 23rd WPC participation, examples include related event(s), registration, exhibition, sponsorship, hotel accommodations, transportation, etc and/or trip(s).
- Promotion and marketing: the 23rd WPC may use your data to personalize your experience on the 23rd WPC website by presenting advertisements that are more relevant to you, to send you marketing communications that we believe may be of interest to you, including information about 23rd WPC opportunities and news, our services, speaker announcements, thought leadership or whitepapers, blog updates, etc. For example, the 23rd WPC uses third party service providers to present services and offers tailored to the preferences and interests demonstrated by your online activity over time. MCI may use your data for promotion and marketing purposes for MCI’s current or prospective Clients and/or third parties in MCI’s industry. MCI may use the data to analyse trends in order to propose other services to its Clients, such as new events or other services.
- Bookings: The Contact Profiles are stored in a database as a reference document to be consulted each time a booking is to be made that is needed to fulfil your request and to fulfil regulatory requirements for certain destinations. To make bookings, MCI might need to transfer personal data to various third-party travel suppliers (such as airlines, hotels, car rental companies, online booking tool companies, safety and security tracking providers and computer booking systems) within your home country or in another country where you may be traveling and often also to government bodies for certain destinations.
- Technical data: the 23rd WPC, or third parties instructed by the 23rd WPC, evaluate this data purely for statistical purposes and only in an anonymised form, in order to optimize the 23rd WPC’s website and increase user-friendliness, efficiency and safety. The 23rd WPC may in particular use technical data to measure the success of 23rd WPC marketing campaigns, compile statistics about 23rd WPC website usage and response rates, and use aggregated personal data calculate the percentage of 23rd WPC users who have a particular telephone area code.
- Other purposes: 23rd WPC may use your data as 23rd WPC believes to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce the 23rd WPC ’s terms and conditions; (e) to protect the 23rd WPC ’s operations; (f) to protect the 23rd WPC ’s rights, privacy, safety or property, you or others; and (g) to allow the 23rd WPC to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that the 23rd WPC may sustain.
The 23rd WPC will ask your consent before using data for a purpose other than those that are set out in this Statement subject to mandatory laws.
Duration of storage
General and personal data will be kept by the 23rd WPC only as long as reasonably necessary taking into consideration its need to answer queries or resolve problems, to provide improved and new services and to comply with legal requirements under applicable laws or with inquiries from Clients on past events or travel activities. the 23rd WPC will retain general and personal data during a maximum period of five years if no specific legal requirement. You may cancel/delete your 23rd WPC account by sending an email to email@example.com.
Location of storage
The Contact Profiles that the 23rd WPC maintains are stored in the United States on 23rd WPC controlled servers and on a third-party, cloud-based central database.
You must ensure that the data you provide us with are:
- Correct; accurate; current; truthful; and compliant with any applicable laws.
In particular, since the 23rd WPC will mainly use email communications with you, you are required to notify us of any modification of your email address. Alternatively, you can directly update your Contact Profile.
The 23rd WPC is committed to protecting the privacy needs of children and we encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities. The 23rd WPC does not target the digital asset to children less than fourteen (14) years of age or knowingly collect information from children for the purpose of selling products or services.
Transfer and communication of data
the 23rd WPC is an international event with attendees from over 100+ countries across Europe, the Americas, Asia, the Middle East and Africa and organizing partners from various countries as well. Your personal data may therefore be transferred to and outside of the United States, including in countries whose data protection laws may be different from, and less stringent than, those in your country of residence. You hereby agree and give your consent to the 23rd WPC to transfer and communicate your data as follows:
- Transfers within the 23rd WPC organizing committee group: Transfers are made throughout 23rd WPC and its subsidiaries to support its activities and/or services.
- Transfer to third-parties: 23rd wPC works with certain third parties to obtain support services in connection with exhibitions, sponsorships, events, hotel accommodations, transportation, badge providers, government, and/or other 23rd WPC services. The 23rd WPC may also transfer personal data to third parties at the request of its Clients. For example, for data consolidation or emergency tracking services. The 23rd WPC may transfer your data to third parties within the 23rd WPC organizing committee for promotion and marketing purposes. The 23rd WPC may also transfer your data to a third-party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of the 23rd WPC business, or assets (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings). Prior to a transfer, third-parties are required to sign a data transfer agreement with the 23rd WPC that requires them to follow the applicable data protection laws.
- Regulatory transfers: 23rd WPC may be required by law to transfer data to governments and regulatory and/or supervisory authorities.
Electronic transfer of data
If you visit the 23rd WPC’s website your data will be transported via an open publicly accessible network. The data might therefore be transmitted across national borders even if you and the 23rd WPC are located in the United States. This involves notably the risk that your data may be intercepted and read by third parties, allowing such third parties to infer an already existing or future business relationship between you and the 23rd WPC.
Furthermore, you are notified that information you transmit or allow to be transmitted to you by the 23rd WPC via an electronic medium, in particular via e-mail, SMS, contact forms, etc. are usually unencrypted and therefore neither confidential nor secure. Even in the event of an encrypted transmission, sender and recipient remain unencrypted in each case. Third parties may therefore be able to infer an existing or future business relationship between you and the 23rd WPC.
If you provide the 23rd WPC with personal information, your personal data may be transferred by the 23rd WPC to countries whose data protection laws may be different from, and less stringent than, those in your country of residence as set forth above. Your personal data may in particular be transferred to the United States. You are hereby notified that your personal data might be accessed by governmental authorities in such countries (in particular by US authorities).
Security and organizational measures
To ensure the safety of your data on the 23rd WPC’s website and systems, 23rd WPC has implemented appropriate technical, contractual, administrative, physical and organizational measures to protect your personal data from loss, destruction, unauthorized access, accidental or unlawful disclosure and manipulation. These measures are subject to continuous development in accordance with technological progress and are periodically reviewed to comply with all applicable privacy laws. However, we cannot and do not guarantee the security of your personal data and therefore cannot assume any liability in this respect.
Only authorized 23rd WPC staff and third party companies’ (i.e. service providers) staff have access to your personal data. All 23rd WPC staff who have access to your personal data are required to adhere to the staff confidentiality regulations and all third-party employees who have access to your personal data have signed non-disclosure agreements. In addition, data transfer agreements are in place with third-party companies that have access to your personal data to make sure these data remain secure.
Choice, access, update and deletion of data
You have a right of access to your personal data. To contact the 23rd WPC with questions or issues about the 23rd WPC’s data processing, you should contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The 23rd WPC gives you choices regarding the 23rd WPC’s use and disclosure of your personal data for marketing purposes. By contacting us at the above-mentioned e-mail address, you may opt-out from receiving future electronic marketing messages from the 23rd WPC and request that we not share your personal data with unaffiliated third parties for their marketing purposes. The 23rd WPC will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please note that if you opt-out as described above, the 23rd WPC will not be able to remove your personal data from the databases of unaffiliated third parties with which the 23rd WPC has already shared your personal data (i.e., to which we have already provided your personal data as of the date that we implement your opt-out request). Please also note that if you do opt-out of receiving marketing-related messages from the 23rd WPC, we may still send you important administrative messages, and you cannot opt-out from receiving administrative messages.
Under certain conditions you also have the right to have your personal data that is stored by the 23rd WPC blocked and deleted, unless the 23rd WPC has to keep these data for legitimate business or legal purposes. For more information, you should contact email@example.com
This Statement may be revised and updated by the 23rd WPC from time to time to comply with statutory data protection and privacy laws. The 23rd WPC will post any statement changes on its website and, if the changes are significant, the 23rd WPC will send a notice to the e-mail address provided in your Contact Profile.
If you need further assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org